Thursday, September 20, 2012

TENNIS NIGHT WITH THE GUYS

It has been a busy week, and was asked by a men's group to play tennis during their evening contract time!  Can you believe it, me playing with the BIG BOYS?  What technique to use?? Well, no big deal since I love tennis and feel comfortable on court, especially after the amount of tennis I was fortunate to play this summer, singles and doubles. 

We had a great time!  Men have different levels of tennis play too, and this is a high level group. My hubby and his partner are definitely at Men's 4.0 level, my partner I would gauge to be at 4.5 or 5.0.  Lucky me!  

Tennis aficionados can play one of two ways, tennis with touch like John McEnroe or tennis with gusto, no holds barred and go for that shot with all your might!  Look at Andy Murray, what a player!


Photo credit EPA, Australian Open 2012


Okay, so I am prepared for this rag tag gang of sissies!!  Haha, here are our scores, 5-7, 6-2, 3-4.  We just had to give our opponents the final game :)  They whined, they cried, they slammed the balls at us and out, we laughed so hard for 90 minutes!

So different from women's tennis, here, we try too hard I think, whereas these guys hit fast balls and moved on to the next point immediately.  No big deal. If they won the point, fine, if not, so what. They live in the moment, and let the game and their inherent skill set dictate their match destiny. 

They don't interfere like women on court.  I know this will rile some, but try this switch up yourself and you will see what I mean. Women get really intense, we pick up all sorts of subtle cues and distractions, whereas the guys simply play the game.

And my partner?  He was gracious if I hit a ball out, and nodded wisely when I won a point.  He could pick up the ball low on the court, and get to net just waiting to put the ball away in the one spot the opponents were not. With ease. No big deal. This is a great player.

And when it was over, I asked if they could put me on their sub list!!  Who knows, maybe this will be a new thing for me?  And if not, we all had a great time and I certainly learned a lot.

As for any on court makeup?  I do like to look my best, it was at the end of the day, 8 PM, so I simply used a dry lip pencil (that would not have ugly stains on my water bottle), and to set the color I lined and then smoothed and blended with the Touche Eclat pen-brush in 01 Luminous Radiance:
Touche Eclat at Nordstrom
So, I had color that lasted through a tough 90 minutes of some of the best tennis I have had in a long time and I will certainly do it again (if they ask!!).

Enjoy, stay loose and stand tall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment